Announcements


No sembreak, DepEd declares

posted Oct 23, 2009, 12:24 AM by Gemma Rose Loyola

TO MAKE up for lost time due to the suspension of classes over typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng, the Department of Education (DepEd) Sunday said there will be no more semestral break, while the Christmas vacation will be shortened for those who went on a one-week break since last week.

“We have to make up for the lost time so there will be no semestral break since it will only last for one week,” DepEd Secretary Jesli Lapus said.

The one-week break for elementary and high school students usually takes place in the third to the last week of October.

At the same time, the DepEd chief said they are also considering alternatives for the students, such as holding classes on Saturdays, two-shift classes and a home study program.

“We are looking at flexible alternatives such as holding classes in covered courts and other structures in the affected areas,” he said.

Required

Lapus said holding makeup classes is necessary in order to attain the required 204 class days in a school year. Remedial classes are usually held on Saturdays and semester breaks.

The DepEd 2009-2010 calendar says the school year shall begin on June 1, 2009 and end on March 31, 2010.

First quarter

This is divided into 54 class days in the first quarter, 48 in the second and 51 each for the third and last quarter, Lapus said.

At the same time, the official also said that he already ordered DepEd-National Capital Region Director Teresita Domalanta and other regional directors to provide schools the necessary guidelines in holding makeup or remedial classes in accordance with DepEd Order 25.

He said the exceptions are: if the school is still not accessible via public transportation; if the school is being used as an evacuation center; and if the local government still suspended classes in the area.

Return

But he said that in general, many want to return to their classes.

The DepEd suspended classes in Central Luzon, Southern Luzon and Metro Manila in the wake of tropical storm “Ondoy” since Monday last week.

To pave the way for the resumption of classes today, Lapus said they will try to consolidate evacuees in a single school to give way to the students.

Public schools in many flooded places are being used as evacuation centers.

The DepEd chief said evacuees staying in various public schools will be transferred to gymnasiums and bigger venues.

“Those that can be consolidated into other buildings will be done so that classes can be started. Also, we will utilize all covered courts and any available space for classroom instruction in the meantime,” Lapus said.(Sunnex)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 5, 2009.


1-1 of 1